Tuesday, August 07, 2007

MILTON JOINS THE SOA BUYERS BUNCH

SOA:Who are you and what do you do?
Mec One(MO): Dominicano born in the US, living in Wash Heights (claro tonto!!)
I consider myself a Lover of the arts; Music, Film, Painting, Photography and Fashion.
Today I work for a headwear design company (GRACE HATS) its main headquarters is in Tokyo and. We also have showroom here in the NY garment district. My official title is, Creative Consultant/Account Executive. Grace Hats designs and manufactures hats for Companies like Urban Outfitters, Triple Five Soul, Brooklyn Industries and many more. In addition to the private label projects, we sell to about 700 accounts (stores) across the country.




I co/own a clothing line; Thrust Apparel with one of my closest friends (Fermin Fenandez) since 2005.

What is Thrust Apparel?
Thrust is a lifestyle brand that embodies our ideas and concepts onto fabric; we do what we feel strongly about without following any preconceived formats and or trends. Music, Art, Technology and the love of the many things we grew up with is what THRUST is all about.

Where can people find Thrust?
We sell limited edition T-shirts, bags, Goodies and hats to select lifestyle boutiques, like the Closet and Probus, just to name a few.







What kind of art do you like?
Different art forms have always moved me since my early teens. Growing up in NYC during the 80’s was very instrumental in making me the person I am today.

Where do you go to view or buy the art that you love?
I got my first taste of “ART” on the NYC Transit System; not having the economic or cultural sophistication to navigate beyond my parameters I found art on the streets. Some kids went to museums with their parents. I took the subway!
Futura 2000, Dondi (rip),Duro, Skeme,Blade, Seen and many many others were my Heroes.
Fuck Picasso!! Fuck Monet!! Fuck Van Gogh too and the rest of there kind! That stuff is for the privileged. It wasn’t for me. It still isn’t! I found and heard the voices of my heroes coming from the steel snake (TRAINS), I understood them and knew what they were trying to say.” WE ARE HERE!! LOOK AT US!! YOU CANT IGNORE US!!”

As soon as I could I stole my first PILOT MARKER and since that day I became MEC ONE!
I left my mark on many a trains and walls around the city. The train yard was like my second home, the transit system my canvas. Crews like NSC, NTA 156 OTB and others my extended family, those were the days!

When did you start purchasing art?
I started collecting art in the 1990’s; the first work I bought was a piece by noted Graff artist CRASH ONE.
Since then I’ve added numerous pieces to my collection by artist from around the globe, it’s a never-ending quest.

Why did you buy this piece from Mario Pena?
I chose to get this piece by Mario Pena because like many of my purchases it moved me. For one, he painted it live right before my eyes; I was able to see him at work, in the moment and in the zone. I really liked the way he used spray paint, markers, stickers and just raw talent. I wanted it instantly!
How did you make Mario Penas piece work in your apt.?
We recently just moved to a new apartment so a new painting kind of signifies a new beginning. It looks great hanging on our wall.

I enjoyed buying this piece from a source like SOA, not only are the artist really pushing the envelope but it feels good buying work from people that I’ve made a personal connection with, people (artist) that I actually look forward to seeing on a regular basis. I look forward to a very long business/person relationship with SOA and the increasing staple of artist they continue to represent.

See you at the next opening!

Milton Castro.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home